Sunday, November 08, 2009

Not my words, just my feelings

I ran into this poem today and it spoke so deeply to my heart:

Room Full of Memories

I walk into your vacant room.
A slight fragrance of you remains
haunting the air like an icon
on the pages of my memories.
All your personal possessions are gone,
here where I watched you bloom.




Leafing through chapters, my heart sighs.
What good times we shared along with bad.
I see you there, a charming baby,
then as the pages turn quickly
you're a high school beauty having fun.
I can't stop the tears flowing from my eyes.


Joy and pain stored as souvenirs,
guilt and pleasure mixed together.
If I could only change the print
I'd erase our foolish mistakes.
I lay aside the memory book.
Life consists of laughter and tears.



Parenting has come to an end
and how I lament its passing.
I shall miss sitting on your bed
talking with you in the evening,
rubbing your back and stroking your head-
but you are leaving as my friend.



--Judy A. Barnes

4 comments:

Barb said...

Wow Marie; that makes me cry! Hugs to you.
Barb

Sue said...

Marie,
I am sitting in the back of the ambulance in the dark. Our student is sleeping. I'm glad because I am crying after reading this beautiful poem. Every time I see a picture of Megan, I am struck by what a beautiful young woman she was. That smile sure could light up a room.

Hugs!
Sue

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous woman.

Lisa said...

Marie,

What a beautiful poem. Makes me cry. My love to you.

Lisa