Monday, July 13, 2009

Long Days, Longer Nights

It seems the roller coaster ride is nearing its end.

We've had several near misses the last few weeks. Yesterday I called the hospice nurse and told her that something was different. Megan was very uncommunicative, had fallen a couple of times, and was generally weaker than normal. So the nurse came out. Blood pressure was hard to find; she guessed it was 70/60, but it was probably lower than that. Pulse ox seemed fine as did the heart rate. But I followed her out and asked what we should expect in the next few weeks. (I'm the type who just does better if I know whats going on before it actually goes on.) She told me that Megan probably has 1, possibly 2, weeks of coherence. Then we should expect her in a semi-conscious to unconscious state. After that, it can be days, weeks, or longer--it will just depend on how Megan's vital organs have been affected and how strong they are.

Kevin's folks are here now and were planning on going back to Arkansas on in a week; now they're not so sure. Not much use in driving back to AR only to have to come back for a service. My folks are playing it by ear to see what feels right. Everyone is trying to find "bright, happy" clothes because Megan has told me she doesn't want everyone in black and grey at her service. She wants to be able to see us from above.

This is all surreal. Who shops for new clothes for their child's funeral? I have no idea how we'll get through this...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sending prayers, hope, and strength your way and thinking of you daily.

You are a brave family.

Bertamom said...

Prayers and strength from here, too.

Sue said...

Marie,
I will pray for God to give all of you the strength you will need to get through this.
Love,
Sue

Barb said...

Oh Marie, my heart is breaking for you. I cannot even begin to imagine how you must feel. I know that. I'm not going to say let me know if I can do anything, because I know the 1 thing you must crave most is Megan. Just Megan. PLease feel free to vent with us, cry with us, and for once you don't have to be the "Miss Marie", the lady. You deserve to scream, and cry, and be sad among us. Know we love you and will hold you up in prayer.

Steph Riedel said...

Oh Marie......I'm so sorry !!! I will be praying for your family !!!!

Crazed Nitwit said...

Second by second, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day, that is how one survives. I really don't want you in the "club". No one joins the club willingly.

You are in my thoughts, prayers, and my tears.