Monday, June 12, 2006

If this drug works....Priceless

Megan's first week on topotecan and thalidomide was uneventful. I'd take her to the oncologist's office, sit and watch the poison drip into her arm (thinking the whole time, "let it get the cancer, let it get the cancer."), and an hour or so later, I'd return to the condo in Salt Lake. These drugs aren't nearly as toxic as the taxol/carbo--I just hope they work. We have had a bugger of a time getting the thalidomide. And man, oh man, is it expensive!!!!! Albertson's pharmacy's price was $6800 per month; insurance pays 70-80%, depending on if its considered generic or not. But my hunter husband was able to locate the drug at Huntsman Cancer Institute and it was $1700. We're unclear as to whether the insurance pays the same percentage there. It is insane! But my fearless husband and his merry band of employees are on the case. Either way, we'll get the drug; hey--isn't that what credit cards are made for????

One day of poison dripped into daughter's arm--$10,000
One month of thalidomide------------------------$6,800
One more year of health------------------------Priceless

1 comment:

Java Mom said...

Marie, I have a prayer group here in my town praying for her!!! Please keep us updated. I can't believe how expensive those healing drugs can be....wow!!! They should be free