Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Escape-ism

Today was the annual Friends of the Library Luncheon. The speaker was Carolyn Jessop, the woman whose plight to escape polygamy made national headlines. She's been on Oprah and some of the morning talk shows. What an incredible woman! She was visibly nervous which made her story so much more authentic. After growing up in such a closed society, it was completely believeable that she would still be nervous before a group from "the outside." Of course, I would like to think our little "friends" group would be less intimidating than Oprah, but you never know...

I've ordered the book, "Escape", and can't wait for it to arrive. My friends who have already read it said it is quite the page turner.

1 comment:

Bertamom said...

Wow - that does sound like an amazing story. Might have to pick that one up myself! I'm sure you all made her feel as comfortable as possible - she's a brave woman!