Monday, October 27, 2008

Makes No Sense

I spent yesterday afternoon at a friend's husband's memorial service. By all accounts, he was a smart, kind, gentle man. But, for reasons unknown to most, he didn't think his life was worth living and decided to end it all. He left behind a grieving wife and two heartbroken children. His son is a Marine helicopter pilot, set to be married next month and then deploy to Iraq; his daughter is a college graduate, just starting her adult life.

I can't figure out how there are people who will fight so hard for life and there are others who just throw it all away. It is such a mystery why some people just can't appreciate this incredible gift of life. Actually, it sorta hacks me off! The logical side of my brain understands that depression is as much a disease as heart disease or cancer and left untreated it is just as deadly--but why didn't he get help!?! Why didn't he seek treatment!?! I know what we would give to save a life; why didn't he see what he had? Just makes me sad...

1 comment:

Bertamom said...

I don't understand either, Marie. And I understand the anger - he had a choice, and he chose death. Many have no choice, but would choose life if they could. It isn't fair - it sucks. I'm so sorry - I can't imagine the storm of feelings you're having, and how hard this is for you.