Friday, October 03, 2008

Just a quick catch up...

For my 2 1/2 readers:

The summer has flown by. Fall has arrived. And yes, I haven't posted anything since May. Although much has happend.

So--a short summary:

Summer was tough for Megan and us. We really thought we were losing her in July/August. We flew with her to DC to the National Institute of Health's Cancer Institute. After a couple of days of complete inefficiency, they determined that Megan didn't fit the trials in which we were interested. Seriously, from the bus driver to the attending physician and almost everyone in between, Megan had a bad feeling. So we came home feeling very dejected. But then that four letter word "hope" raised its head again and really smart folks from right here in Utah came up with a procedure that eliminated the pain and pressure. (Many thanks to Dr. Zempolich at St. Marks and Dr. Adler at U of Utah and their collaborative spirit.) She stabilized enough for us to bring her to M D Anderson in Houston. She qualified for a clinical trial and has been on this new drug for about 6 weeks. So far, so good. She's been back once and the tumor they are following has shrunk 25%.

Sydney spent the summer looking for work. She's finally employed by CASA (court appointed special advocates) training volunteers who advocate for kids in foster care. Not alot of pay, but it is rewarding in other ways. And it is good experience.

I'm debating going back to work. Things have stabilized around here, but I'm constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop. Getting out of the house would probably help keep my mind off crap. I know I could work in the ski industry again, but I really don't think I need the aggravation of working holidays and weekends. Since feeling valued is more of an issue than money, I think I'll look around and see what looks fun.

So, maybe I'll try and do better with this posting stuff; maybe someone will read this stuff; maybe someone will even leave a comment or two. Who knows...

3 comments:

Bertamom said...

Good to see a new post from you! And I'm always happy to hear good news about Megan. As for a new job for you, I think you're right - think about what you love to do, and find a way to do that. Maybe even if it's volunteer work, it would give you something new to do. Good luck - keep us posted!

Kelli said...

I'm still here, still checking in, still reading. I was happy to see a new post!

Good news about Megan too - I hope we continue to get promising updates.

Lori Renn said...

Keep the good news coming my friend! Love you.